Our ability to provide outstanding library service is based primarily on the people we hire. At the Tonganoxie Public Library, there is a commitment to excellence among our employees, and an emphasis on respect in how we treat our customers and each other. The Tonganoxie Public Library is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or marital status.
Library Aid II/Youth Services Assistant Employment Application
JOB DESCRIPTION: Part-time vacancy available for an energetic, team-oriented, tech-savvy Library Aid II/Youth Services Assistant. Candidate must have a strong public service commitment. Candidate works alongside the Youth Services Librarian and provides library service and programming to children and young adults. This position requires regular contact and collaboration with young children and teens with diverse backgrounds and abilities. Candidate must be available to work closing shifts and weekends. Candidate reports to the Youth Services Librarian and Circulation Supervisor. 16-20 hours per week. Some evenings and weekends. Benefits include vacation, sick, & PTO!
• Provides direct assistance to patrons of all ages with basic information regarding use of library materials, equipment, and services.
• Works the circulation desk and provides cheerful customer service.
• Assists with program set-up and clean-up. On occasion will be asked to lead Story-Time.
• Assists with collection maintenance as part of regular duties.
• May initiate, plan, and conduct a variety of programs and activities to encourage the use of the library by young adults between the ages of 0 and 18, including but not limited to story times, craft programs, films and special events, reading clubs, and school and community outreach.
• Becomes an effective and productive library team member.
• May be asked to attend professional library conferences, workshops, webcasts, and seminars, read professional literature; attend and participates in staff meeting discussions.
• Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent required.
- Experience with young children (ages 0-11) and young adults (ages 12 to 18) required.
- One year of library experience preferred.
- Ability to use KOHA integrated library system, college degree and experience with library program development preferred.
• Knowledge of recreational and educational needs of children and young adults.
• Ability to translate young adult needs and interests into effective library services and programs.
• Knowledge of current trends in library services for children and young adults and young adult literature and other materials for youth.
• Knowledge of standard library procedures, current information technology, Internet and database search capabilities.
• Communicate with others, orally and in writing; correspond often through email.
• Must be able to lift and carry bags of books or boxes weighing up to 40 pounds.
• Must be able to speak distinctly to large groups.
• Must be able to drive a car and hold a valid driver’s license.
• Must be available to work evenings and weekends.
• Must possess physical mobility involving bending, lifting, reading, and hearing.
Send: Application, cover letter, resume, and three professional work references to:
Tonganoxie Public Library
303 S. Bury
Tonganoxie, KS 66086